Friday, October 26, 2012

Acrylic Block Collage

Last week on Splitcoaststampers, I shared a technique that I learned while I was at the Hambo Stamps retreat in Georgia at the end of September. You have to try it! It makes beautiful cards that look different every time! My friend, Melissa, was the one that showed it to our group, and we all fell in love!

Take a look:
I used Memento Markers to color (scribble, really!) on my acrylic block, then spritzed with water and immediately stamped onto my cardstock (Georgia Pacific White - nothing special!)

The color on this ended up being very solid, but I have made cards using the same technique where there is a lot of white space too. Sometimes the block makes a difference, and what ink you use (whether it's ink pads, markers, and what brand), but each way it turns out is beautiful!

Anyway, it's super easy to do.

Here are the steps:
1. Using markers or stamp pads, ink up an acrylic block (your choice in size - we used straight edged blocks as well as wavy edged) with 2-4 colors, beginning with the lightest color and moving to the darkest.

2. Spritz the block with water and immediately stamp onto cardstock (we used white most of the time - or kraft occasionally). Let dry (a few minutes at most).

3. Mask the rest of the cardstock so only the stamped block area is showing (we used 2 post it notes thick around the whole block area so the ink didn't bleed through to the rest of the card).

4. Stamp several other images using light and/or darker colors (your choice), filling as much or as little of your block area as you wish.

5. Remove the masks and stamp another image and/or sentiment in the darkest color (most of the time we used black ink for a good contrast).

6. Voila!

And yep -- ONE LAYER BEAUTIES! 


Unfortunately, I used my friends' stamps, and didn't write down who to credit, so I apologize for leaving out those details! I hope you will give it a try. Take a look HERE for inspiration!

Submitting to:
Color Q Challenge 160:
 

11 comments:

  1. WOW this is beautiful and what a fabulous technique. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This technique produces such a wonderful background Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Judy what a fun technique and beautiful card, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a COOL technique Judy!! I a going to have to give that a try! Looks Fantastic! 8-)

    Hugs
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love this - very classy and definitely a technique I can see me using often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I love this - very classy and definitely a technique I can see me using often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd heard of this technique, but didn't know the details. Thanks for sharing. That fabulous color block is a wonderful backdrop for the rest of the card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!! Thank you so much for joining us this week at the colourQ!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card, Judy, such a fun technique! Thanks for sharing your one layer card with us at the colourQ this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy such a beautiful card. Thank you so much for joining us this week at the colourQ!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this technique...so cool! And a beautiful image and sentiment as well! Thanks for joining us at the CQC this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. It means a lot to connect and I appreciate you!